Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Facebook

I get "friends" requests from facebook, sometime three or four in a single day.  I have no idea how they find me or what they really want.  The only social networking I do is right here, on this blog and sometimes on my other cancer topic blog.  If you want to know what I am up to, what I am making and about my thoughts, sometimes, even the weather, this is it.  I have been in and out of facebook and once had hundreds of "fiends".  I am currently back in because I wanted to see what a particular real friend was up to and had to re sign up to access the account but when I last dropped out not a single "friend" inquired as to why?  It is because they don't give a rip and really, neither do I.  I couldn't even name 400 people let alone count them as friends.  That is what hands are for and why we only have five fingers!  Now people friend me again and I mostly ignore the requests.  I am here.  That is enough.  Even here it is a lucky day when I get 3 comments!  People are busy.
   I am emptying flower pots, putting that soil back into the garden and filling the pots anew with potting soil along with a dash of blood meal, bone meal, cotton seed and kelp.  Plants have to eat too.
I will have more than ever this year and all is well in my greenhouse.  Flowers and tomatoes alongside.
Once you get cancer even if you get rid of it, you always have the idea that "this" could be the last season, the last flowers, the last effort at the best tomato. So make the best of it. Today is always the only day we really have anyway.  Tomorrow is a fantasy and yesterday is gone.  The Beatles had it right.

5 comments:

Graciewilde said...

Boy, did they have it right! About so many things. I've often wondered how such young people could have attained such wisdom. Ditto other musicians - Jackson Browne, for example. How did he know enough to write "ForEveryman" or "The Pretender" when he wasn't even 30 years old? Just wondering....
as for FB? Yeah, I have it but mostly it is to link me to interesting websites like NPR - occasionally I will post a snippet of a poem or something. I posted this the day Roger Ebert died:

“Dear Bill (O'Reilly)...I am concerned that you have been losing touch with reality recently. Did you really say you are more powerful than any politician?

That reminds me of the famous story about Squeaky the Chicago Mouse. It seems that Squeaky was floating on his back along the Chicago River one day. Approaching the Michigan Avenue lift bridge, he called out: Raise the bridge! I have an erection!”
― Roger Ebert

Yvonne said...

I can understand the "friend" thing. I probably can count mine on one hand, but they're really good ones. Isn't spring wonderful! Work to keep us busy a summer full, but we love it. Happy tomato growing!

Rama Ananth said...

All these so called friends are really nothing in FB. Many times I have unfriended people who hardly use Facebook, to say something or share something. Even in blogs we have so many so called followers, yet we find just a handful who actually bother to visit us.
Live life as if there is no tomorrow, that is indeed a good thought. Enjoy your tomatoes and your flowers all the more just for today.

Optimistic Existentialist said...

I know people with 3,000 FB "friends" and that has always blown my mind. They probably actually only truly "know" less than 100 of them. I am all about quality over quantity.

Barbra Joan said...

I witchyou Jerry,
I signed onto facebook a few years ago, didn't really like all that garbage about friends and friends of friends..
I dropped out but like you was forced to sign on again for the same reason.. Looking up someone .
I posted a few things,, and already am sick of it..
How do you get out ?
It's like 'Hotel California"
once your in you never get out.!
Forget sho sand that .. LOL !

BJ