Wednesday, October 2, 2013

No Comments Please!

About this shutdown of our Government, we won't have an opinion until it directly affect us personally.
So far it is pretty mild unless you are one of the 800,000 or so government workers told to stay home.
I am reminded of that story "they came for the Jews and I wasn't a Jew so I did nothing".  The Government attempts to make this shutdown as pleasant as possible with few real interruptions.  We still have our military, the police work, the banks are open and, thank God, the Social Security checks still arrive.  At least for now.  This showdown is costing $300 MILLION a day! A Billion Bucks every three days.  But our representatives still get their checks and I still get mine.
   There really should be rules on how to run a government.  Maybe this wouldn't happen with a little foresight.  The arguments will continue until it becomes painful for more people.  That is not likely to happen for another six weeks with the issue of raising the debt ceiling.  That will be the interesting battle.  That is when the checks could stop being printed.  THEN, will you have an opinion?
    Personally, I think this all comes to a head because we have lost the art of negotiation.  In these modern "Twitter times" we have lost the ability to speak to each other. The age of non-reason.
When Ronald Reagan was President the Debt Ceiling was raised SIX times AND taxes were increased.  I want to go back to those Republican Days or the "Clinton Era" when the National Debt was on its way to being erased completely.  Both better times than now.
   The "blame game" is easy to play but clearly it is a game of self destruction.  We can blame the Democrats or the Republicans or the Teaparty, but I really think, "we have met the enemy and he is us".  We don't talk on our front porches any more.

6 comments:

Jerry Carlin said...

Has anyone seen Jimmy Kimmel's interviews questioning whether you are for the "Affordable Care Act or Obamacare"? I guess that is my point.

Kay Dennison said...

I hear ya~ I'm for the AFA since I've gone through the horror of not having healthcare & know how awful it can be -- & I do like my Medicare.

Optimistic Existentialist said...

I did see the Jimmy Kimmel interview. Crazy how uninformed people are!!

Kay Dennison said...

And I went & looked at Jimmy Kimmel -- I find it amazing that so many are soooo uninformed.

Barbra Joan said...

I didn't see the interviews on the AFA/Obamacare. but yes I understand. I won't get into what people don't understand, I've been shocked to hear that young people don't even know who the vice president is or even Kennedy. Unbelievable! but then again you see two friends sitting in the coffee shop, each with their iphones or whatever the hell they are, and both are busy plunking away. They can't or don't even talk to each other. Let alone know what's going on in the world..
I am bothered by all of it yes, yes, yes. !
My daughter is one of those who cannot afford health insurance and is at an age where she is needing it. I'm now paying higher co- pays, but the way I look at it, I'm paying so that she can get healthcare.

Jerry Carlin said...

It is not easy, Barbra Joan, but we would never give up Social Security or Medicare now although some thought it was the end of the world when we first got them.