Thursday, May 2, 2013

Protecting Tomatoes

Little garden pool, photo taken yesterday.
I have built up my soil from living in the same place for over forty years.  I have always had a garden.
This is the first year I have had my garden in while still April.  Normally the soil is too wet and the days too cold and I have to wait until mid-May, sometimes the very end of May.  This is crazy weather, my tomatoes are in already and I have to protect the young plants from the hot sun.  The weather man is expecting over 85 degrees this weekend!
I will leave this cloth up for at least a week,
giving the plants time to acclimate.

These are my five biggest and best
plants but I will plant a total of 25.
 Shade cloth to protect tomatoes from the hot sun!
 This is the area in front of my garden with all of the flower pots. I will post updates of this area from time to time.

2 comments:

Optimistic Existentialist said...

My late papaw would love seeing this. He loved growing his tomatoes!

Barbra Joan said...

Jerry, I've got my fingers crossed for your garden.. Crazy weather is right! We don't usually have to put the air on til mid May, but it's already humid here..
My tiny space for a garden is already lush, it's only about 12 sq. feet and just flowers and green things, such as bouganvilla, ginger plants, lavender, rosemary, ferns, and small plants. We're into our rainy season, that means a shower most every afternoon, which will be a big help since I'm not going to be here for a couple months.
Your pool looks luscious, almost as good as our Gulf of Mexico. LOL ! and lots more private too. !
I'll pray to the garden gods and another God too. Sometimes it works.!