Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Copper Panels


Gates when closed have to say, "Do Not Enter", that is their job. Open, however, is entirely different. They should be welcoming and easily findable. Not part of a continuing fence, they need to be distinctive and let you know that you have arrived.
I often put copper panels in my gates, sometimes lacquered to preserve the polish. I like what the sun does to copper. You can see it from a mile away. These panels are in my office, their lacquer finish is drying and my office is the only warm spot in my shop. It is a big entry, two eleven foot gates, each with two copper panels and a stainless steel panel in the center. I'll keep you posted on the progress.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Ruby said...

Wow ... don't you just love that copper. I still haven't extracted my pieces ... perhaps in the summer when I can take out of doors to work.

I so look forward to your metal creations. So far, I'm hooked!

Maundering mutterer said...

They're magnificent! Absolutely stunning. One day, I will get rich so that I can get you to make me a set too! (Dream on!)

^ said...

The panels are beautiful. Question, does the lacquer prevent the copper from getting the patina on it? I like the patina on copper but I'm just wondering if it's possible to prevent it if you wanted to keep the bright polished look of the copper permanently.

Jerry Carlin said...

two coats of Rustoleum right from the rattle can will prevent the aging patina look, keep it clear and bright for about five years! then add another coat.