Monday, March 28, 2011

Tsunami

 Tsunami
How do you paint something beautiful, destroying something beautiful? or how would you put this to a poem?  I am mostly not a painter (but "I slept at the Holiday Inn last night"!).  I dabble in paint when words fail me.  I have an on going one sided argument with a friend of mine, one sided because she never responds, about what kinds of things may influence an artist. It is not really a difficult discussion, just imagine how you might be different if you painted one hundred years ago or five hundred?  Even today, they round up artists in some countries and shoot them if they paint the wrong things.  Or you start painting on shovel handles and you will never sell them!  Artists are influenced and we produce for customers but there are other influences. The ocean is not always serene and blue with white capped waves and sailing ships in the distance.  Two things have happened in one year that will forever, or for now anyway, alter our view of the oceans. One was man made with the oil spill in the gulf and we can discover our incredible power of destruction.  The other was the recent tsunami in Japan, the most destructive force in our lifetime!
     Sometimes, when I am at a loss for words I get the paints out and try to capture what I want to say.
More Paintings can be found HERE

8 comments:

Kristin H said...

I could not find a better way to express my thoughts than that. I just wish I could paint...instead I write about it. Have a great creative week.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Barbra Joan said...

A very good way to tell the story .. Can't say any more about it.

Shopgirl said...

Love your painting, it brought out the power behind the waves and the beauty in it as well. I enjoyed finding your blog (from PAMO) and hope to read more from you.

Constance Stanza Extravaganza Extraordinaire said...

Maybe she doesn't respond because the past horror is too much to re-live and she would prefer to only paint the magical reality of what she wishes life to be in her world of fantasy and dreams?

Dan Kent said...

I think this painting is unbelievably descriptive and so well done. I have racked my brain trying to find a respectful symbolic way to represent the tzunami, and haven't been able to think of a thing. You have done it here.

HumorSmith said...

Hi there. Pamo directed me to your blog, so I owe her one. I enjoyed myself and in the words of Ah-nold, "Thank you for electing me,"....um...hold on, I mean "Ah'll be back."

Autumn Leaves said...

You've beautifully captured that sense of churning waters and the global effects with that curved horizon, Jer. And me? I also see the nuclear disaster going on in Japan in the reds and yellows in the lower left corner. Cause and effect. I'm not much of an abstract art lover but every once in awhile, the title has me looking for something, which it did indeed do in this case. Gorgeous palette, Jerry.