Monday, August 15, 2011

Painting on Ice

   Painting, I know, is an attempt at immortality.  We want to leave something behind stronger than the last breath we take.  We tell stories and share who we are that way but art offers an intermingling of our souls.
I create a piece, some kind of art, and a million ideas run through my head in the process until finally my hands interpret what was in my heart.
   I work with steel and copper when I can find it.  I like their strength, the weight of the piece and with proper attendance, how they can float.  I am often asked, "will it rust?"  As though you are anticipating disappointment from the beginning!
   When I pour concrete the only guarantees I make are that it will be hard.  It will be gray.  It will not burn and no one will steal it.
   Art will age.  Steel will rust.  It is the only quote in the Bible I know.  Concrete will crack.
   I often wonder what is lost in the original when ancient artwork is restored?  The painting could still be pretty but it seems to me, muffled a bit, a covering over the soul.  Some lost artwork can only be identified by fingerprints left behind by the artist.
   I wonder which is critical?  Did the artist really touch that painting?  Or does the painting really touch you?
 copper/stainless steel/copper
58" x 14"
   In either way it is only around for awhile.  It is a shout down a darkened alley.  It could be a moon lit masterpiece but will change with the raising sun.  It is like painting on ice.

 One of eight butterflies
Eight butterflies in flight.  Oil paint over stainless steel.  Copper and stainless steel panels framed in steel, powder coated clear coat.  Lots of fingerprints and no doubt some DNA.  I never work with gloves.

How I make my living is HERE

5 comments:

T. said...

You really do nice work. This piece is truly beautiful. I'm curious, and this may be a stupid question, but how did you get oil paint to dry on the steal?

Jerry Carlin said...

Great question TDK! I should have asked it myself! I put them out in the sun to dry and three days later I could still play with them.
Now, two weeks later, they are dry to the touch. I have heard the paint on a van Gough is still wet!

Barbra Joan said...

Jerry, I just now came upon your blog , I know I'm running a bit behind.. can't be helped, but I have to say what a beautiful piece this is.. Where is it going ? Butterflies are one of my favorite things, and I do cherish the one on my plaque. Thank you for it, hugs, BJ

Autumn Leaves said...

I love how you are leaving your mark on this world, Jerry. I think that is one thing that I will not be able to do too well at. Anyway, these pieces are glorious! Love that pattern in the copper too.

Constance Stanza Extravaganza Extraordinaire said...

It's gorgeous :-)